1. In
what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and
conventions of real media products?
My media product uses forms and conventions of real media
products from other magazines, for example in my front cover of my magazine. My
front cover style is lightly similar to pop music genre, the layout is busy
with bright colours; using bright colours is often typical in pop magazine to
engage in a younger audience, specifically female. The model in my magazine
goes against the norm for my music genre; I think the model pose is more
towards R’n’B rather than pop. Her pose seems louder and very outlandish.
However, the layout development is the same as pop music magazines; I have
looked at other pop magazines such as billboard magazine and Marie Claire. I
have compared my masthead with the magazines in my press pack, I have chosen to
make mine bold and have the same font as ‘vogue’ magazine because it goes with
my female audience. However I haven’t made my magazine masthead go behind the
model, I have chosen to make the masthead more prominent and stand out much
more. The text on the front cover is similar to the magazines I have looked at
in my press pack; however the contents page is very simple and does not fit in
the generic way for my magazine. The text on my DPS is put in an interview
style so the readers can read it properly; the font is larger because my
audience is targeted at a young age. I have decided to include an interview
from the artist so the readers would get an insight to the model/artist. I
haven’t included any adverts on my front cover, contents page and DPS which
isn’t normal because in pop magazines there are normally adverts of makeup or
perfume. However I have included a link for my magazine website which gives
them further details on many things inside the magazine. I have targeted my
audience by having a young model, having very female colours on my magazine and
the topics on my contents page is mainly for females.
2.
How does your media product represent particular
social groups?
My magazine represents my chosen social group, according to
my feedback, my target audience ranges from 15-26, 16-25 & 16-24. I have
also been told that ‘your audience is mainly females due to the fact you have a
female on your front page and because of my colour scheme. I haven’t however
created a sub-culture for my magazine; I believe it can be for anyone but most
preferably by females ranging in that age category. My magazine features a
special offer designed for females which is about fashion, it is relevant
because my magazine cover seems to personify fashion as a big statement. As
well as age and ethnicity, class is very significant because people from a low
class background will be able to understand my magazine because I have used
simpler and structured my text more readable for people who have low
educational attainment. Looking at my audience feedback, the appropriate class
background for my magazine is working class because of my journalistic style
writing I have implemented in my magazine.
3.
What kind of media institution might distribute
your media product and why?
In my Press pack I have researched about ‘Prometheus global
media’ which is an institution that develops magazines like billboard magazine;
I believe my magazine is similar in style and genre so I have chosen this media
institution. It is an American based publishing company which publishes
magazines which covers mainly news and media. The most popular magazine they
produce is ‘Billboard magazine’, this magazine is very formal and discusses
music styles so it doesn’t have one gender targeted audience, however some
magazines they have produced in the past can be specifically aimed at females
alone such as the ‘Lana Del Rey’ cover. I have based my analysis on this
magazine issue because it is female orientated. The cross media interests that
‘Billboard’ magazine has is twitter, Facebook, Instagram, as well as having
their own website. I have decided as my cross media interest I should include a
website for people to view more information and further look in to previous
issues. In my magazine newsstand task I have seen that most magazines are
distribution methods is that when the company, example ‘Tesco’s’ doesn’t sell
all the magazines of that issue then they will be sent back to the company
which I think is the best distribution method in terms of recycling or saving
money.
4.
Who would be the audience for your media
product?
Looking back at my audience feedback on my blogger I have
found that my magazine is more suited to an age ranging from 16-24. “It
seems inevitable that readers will become increasingly aware of the vast amount
of free content available online, particularly since the most prolific magazine
readers are young (16-24) and also regular internet users.” “530 million
copies of women's magazines will be sold in 2010, creating revenues of around
£691 million”. I attract my audience with the front cover, which shows deals,
also mentioning female artists and fashion, as well as my colour scheme being
very feminine.
5.
How did you attract/address your audience?
I have addressed my audience through blogger, through
blogger I have been able to share my magazine with students and get audience
feedback. I have attracted my audience through the use and choice of my model
on the front cover; she represents my main target population. To be able to attract my target audience the model has to appeal to them.
For my front cover I have used a large masthead, sticking
with my bright colour scheme I think that was a main source to bring in my
target audience. The masthead will be able to attract people from afar when
they see it on the magazine newsstand because the colour black contrasts well
with the background; I have also used capital letters for it to stand out more.
The model is posing in a unique and fun way, the audience will think the
magazine will most likely be about fashion and will recognise it’s a female
dominated magazine. On my front cover I have used a variation of different
style fonts to be able to make it look enjoyable and exciting. I used large sub
headings which read ‘NEW MUSIC’ so then the audience will be able to see the
model is related with music. For my contents page I used a variation of
pictures of the model as well as different pictures of female celebrities which
are known too, I have chosen my outside images of female celebrities because
the theme of my magazine is feminine which will attract my target audience. For
my double page spread (DPS) I used a range of bright colours like, baby blue, fuchsia
and yellow which I intended to because the model is wearing colours that can be
linked to this, which is for the target audience.
6.
What have you learnt about technologies from the
process of constructing this product?
The technologies that I have used during the process of
constructing my magazine were the college camera, blogger, InDesign and
Photoshop. I have used InDesign &
Photoshop technologies as it was easier to create my DPS and contents page on
InDesign and create my front cover on Photoshop. I have learnt various things
from both technologies; with InDesign I know how to set up rulers, chose a4
paper, save to JPEG, type, place an image, enlarge and crop images, create to
pages. I found this easier to create my DPS and contents page because I know
how to create a double page spread set rulers, create text with colours and
construct my text much better as well as placing images in my magazine. Photoshop
was useful with my front cover because I was able to edit my image, place my
masthead properly on the magazine, and layer my magazine better with text and
images. For our college assignment we
were told to create our magazines and put them on blogger, blogger was used
because it was more clearer, it kept records of when you posted information on
to the website, you can look at your peers work, you can give each other
feedback on your magazines much easier, it reaches the audience quicker and it
was an effective software for our project. We had the opportunity to use the
college studio with the digital camera, I have learnt how to focus the camera,
which buttons to press when controlling the pictures, and I have learnt how to
position the model in the studio. We used a high-res camera, with this high
resolution we were able to capture intricate details and it was better to focus
with. I had much different equipment to help me with my photo shoot, such as
the diffuser; which diffused the lighting when taking pictures. I had a white
backdrop because I wanted the pictures to be light and emphasise on the model
and her clothing. The location shooting was used to have another type of
setting in the magazine.
7.
Looking back at your preliminary task, what do
you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
I feel I have achieved a lot since my preliminary task
because with my prelim task I haven’t used Photoshop and I didn’t use much
tools on InDesign to create it. When producing my music magazine I have been
taught how to manage layers which made it much easier for me to organise my
front cover, contents page and my DPS. I have used a very high-res camera for
my professional photo-shoot, however at first we was given a hand-held digital
camera which was much easier to control and use instead of the SLR. I have been
taught how to have various fonts on Photoshop, I am aware of the different
types of text fonts that I can apply on to my magazine. I also learnt about
psychological pricing, which means when a magazine uses a number ending with “0.99”
to give an illusion that its more cheaper. I also understand the conventions of
reaching out to my audience, by having a specific target audience; it is easier
for me to attract that type of audience by showing it through my magazine. My target
audience would be attracted to certain subjects, colours, images on the
magazine.
No comments:
Post a Comment